Thursday, April 30, 2009

Nice to See

Tonight as Dan and I walked into the Bloomingdale Library, I was blessed by five words from a middle-aged woman I don't even know. As she walked past us she smiled and said, " A GeNtLeMaN. Nice to see."

All at once I realized my hands were securely in my pockets and Dan had just opened the door for me without skipping a beat. I was struck by the CaRe and LoVe shown to me by my husband through this simple gesture. I was struck by my presumption that this is the way it should be as my hands were firmly in my pockets...I never even thought of removing them because I have just come to subconsciously ExPeCt this gesture from Dan.

Isn't it ReFrEsHiNg that a few simple words from a stranger can open our eyes? In the business of our lives, I so often don't stop to ApPrEcIaTe the little things that show great LoVe.

I want to be the stranger that NoTicES and AcKnOwLeDgEs the little things. I want to be the friend and wife that others/Dan expect these little acts of kindness and love from.
I am GrAtEfuL for Dan who does so many little things that I know I take for granted and to this stranger who used her words to help me NoTicE.

2 comments:

  1. aww that is SO SWEET! kyle does the same thing for me, and i sometimes don't realize how "old-fashioned" and rare that is, until we are out with others, and the guy just forges ahead. i'm sure there are lots of acts of love you do that you don't even notice you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great reminder for you to treasure the gift you have.

    When Kevin opens doors for girls his age, he gets mixed reactions from them. Some love it, while others are offended that he's treating them like they can't take care of themselves. Has put him in some awkward situations, but he perseveres.

    ReplyDelete