Friday, May 18, 2018

Our Felicity: 6.5 Years

I just can't believe it. She is six and a half years old...


In just a week she'll finish American Kindergarten, although I recently overheard explaining to a friend that she's on a different timeline because she has already finished Tunisian Kindergarten (insert smiley cry face). 
Felicity loves school. She hops out of the car and marches right in like she owns the place. We're so thankful that she has made friends this year. At first she was a little confused at why kids weren't surrounding her, eager to play. It took a few conversations about how to engage others when you're not the only blonde with fair skin from America, but now she's a pro at navigating the playground scene. 


She knew the names of every kid in her class after the first week and comes home everyday telling me all about what everyone said and did that day. At recess she loves to swing (she just learned to pump!) and play tether ball. She also likes to invent games with her friends about vampires and villains (yikes) and "Let's help 'B' (a fellow classmate) know Jesus"...quite the wide range of interests she has! Aye-yi!


Having a mailbox is a new thing for our kids this year, and Felicity LOVES to race to it right after school. She also continues to be very social, especially with adults. The other day I stopped watching the girls for a sec to deal with Ephraim, and to my delight I found them at our sweet neighbor lady's house helping her sweep up her driveway. Felicity is such a good helper and inspires her sister to do the same! 
It makes my heart happy that she still has a deep appreciation for parks and Happy Meals. Watching her swing and sink her teeth into a McDonald's cheeseburger are two things that give me such delight because she understands that these are extras, things not to take for granted...I hope she holds on to this and carries it over to other pieces of her story as it grows. 


There's so much to say, but I definitely can't leave out that Felicity is a hard worker. She gives her best and goes above and beyond most of the time. She's always rehearsing everything she's learning in school whether it's songs from music, reading and math, or P.E. warm-ups! She even had MoMo and me doing high knees and seat kickers in our living room! Her determination in learning to jump rope was amazing to watch. She came home from school one day wanting to learn and kept jumping and jumping until she finally got it a few days later. So proud of her for not giving up!
She is obsessed with drawing and coloring and loves to do drawing contests with anyone willing to face her. Her sweet singing voice melts me, and I love to look in the car mirror to see her dramatic expressions that go along with it. She loves Ryan Stevenson's song "The Gospel"  and insists that Daddy sings it better (in a very sweet way) to every song on the radio that she has heard him sing.
My favorite recent story is when she told me that a boy at school was unkind to her even though he was nice to the other kids. She finally came to the conclusion that he just didn't like her. I loved her gracious spirit when she remarked, "But I decided to just roll with it and be nice to him anyway." A big thank you Jesus moment for Mommy!
Felicity Renee is brave and just watching her navigate all of the transition of of the past few years is a beautiful testimony to many prayers answered and the kindness of our God. He is faithful, and I love watching His story unfold through the life of our Felicity. What a privilege.


No comments:

Post a Comment