Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Welcome Little Wonder: The Doula

To be frank, we could not have done it without her:



Cheryl, we are forever grateful for everything you did for us throughout pregnancy, the delivery and the aftermath of Moriah's birth. There are not enough words to convey thanks for the gift that you have been and continue to be to our family.

For all of these things and everything we don't mention or that we didn't see, Thank You.


Ladies and Gentlemen, we give you A Portrait of an African Doula:

From the very beginning, Cheryl walked this journey with us giving us the courage to take each step forward. Her language ability, medical experience and motherly touch carried us.

She endured waiting with me at the doctor's office for 2-4 hours at a time. We experienced surprises at each and every appointment including but not limited to: our initial surprise that Dan would be in the men's waiting room and we would be in the women's, a yelling fight between the receptionists and a patient, shock upon hearing that "no man has ever been in the delivery room", the look on the doctor's face as we explained the concept of a gender reveal party and why we only wanted Cheryl to know the sex, waiting for 4.5 hours when we actually made an appointment, and showing up another time without an appointment, being written in as number five on the list, and getting in almost immediately...
Always just a phone call away, she answered so many questions I had and eased my fears with her knowledge and care. She brought along her tools whenever we were going to be together and checked my blood pressure (only done once at the dr.) and the baby's heartbeat which I would not have been able to hear otherwise.
She waited with us. For at least three weeks she went to bed with her phone beside her ready for our call. She delayed going to the capital to be here with us.
On the day of Moriah's birth, Cheryl did all of the things I expected and more. She helped dress me for the hospital and let me lean into her for contractions in-between. She told me it was time to go and encouraged me that I could do it when I was sure it was impossible.
When we got to the hospital they said I should go in alone. I was terrified, but she insisted that she would not be leaving me at all. They let her in. The doctor was insisting I get an epidural. She made sure I did not. He insisted I get a shot to completely knock me out for the afterbirth and stitching. She did not let it happen. When everyone was told to leave the room, and I fainted two times, she came running in when I was finally able to call out her name. She also took a few bites of my hospital post-birth meal of fish. I do not generally care for fish so I particularly didn't want it after giving birth. No shame on me, Cheryl came through!

We drove home with Moriah the same day she was born. Cheryl rode right along with us and stayed the night in Moriah's room so I could get some rest in-between feedings.
More than just the medical side, she added so much celebration, fun and good food to our last year. She made a delicious gender reveal cake and kept the secret long enough for us to be surprised. She cooked for our gatherings, letting me rest for the last few weeks of pregnancy, and after being with us all through the birth, she was at our house that night cooking us dinner. We were truly spoiled and so loved by this woman.


For real, her love lives on even though she is now on the other side of the ocean. We will hold it forever!
We love you Cheryl!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, she sounds like an amazing person! You can't possibly be talking about me!!! I would do it all over in a heartbeat. It was a wonderful experience. I do love you so much. We are bonded forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I guess I made my point! You are AMAZING!!! Forever and ever!!!!

      Delete
  2. What an amazing woman!!!!! I'm grateful that Cheryl was there with you throughout the journey and that you were never alone <3 xoxo

    ReplyDelete