Sunday, February 28, 2010

Rescue

Last month I had the opportunity to attend an event called ReScUe hosted by one of the most compassionate people I have ever met, and someone I'm honored to know.

Going in, I knew the night was going to be HeAvY, and that was an understatement for sure. The subject at hand was HuMaN TrAfFickInG. AKA: Slavery in the 21st Century, the ExPloItaTiOn of men, women, and children for labor and/or sex.

I wish I could fully share the night's experience with you. The speakers, dramas, video clips, images, etc. were heart breaking, startling, and quite overwhelming. My heart was stirred.

Here's only a bit of what I didn't know:
    • 27 millions people are in some form of sLaVeRy right now.
    • 50% of these people are ChIldReN and 80% are female.
    • Nearly 18,000 victims are trafficked into the U.S. each year (50/day).
    • The average age of entry into the commercial sex industry is 12 years old.
    • U.S. citizens account for 25% of SeX ToUriStS worldwide.
This issue is not something that just happens OvEr ThErE. It is close to home, in our very own country, and I didn't know ...but now I do, and I can't ignore it.

So what do I do?...

I tell you. I pray. I penetrate darkness with the light of TrUtH. I hope. I give. I speak. I love. I pray some more. I ask. I cry. I remember and not forget. I advocate. I trust in the One who is greater than all these things. I fight. I don't listen to the voice in my head that says this issue is too big. I educate myself. I move.

What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8


If you are interested in speaking for those who do not have a voice, loving those who can do nothing for you in return, penetrating darkness, making a difference and joining the fight, please visit the International Justice Mission site, and let your voice be heard. It will take one minute of your time, but it could help spare many little ones a life of pain, exploitation, and utter darkness. Your voice matters. Let it be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment